Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscar predictions


Oscar night tonight, so here are my predictions on what I think will and what should win. Feel free to air your opinions and your own predictions!

Best Actor - Colin Firth (The King's Speech)

Hands down winner. No question, and totally deserved

Best Actress - Natalie Portman (Black Swan)

Again, a hands down winner. Gritty role, played brilliantly. She'll never get a part like it again.

Best supporting actor - Christian Bale (The Fighter)


He went to extreme methods to prepare for the part in The Fighter and is no doubt superb but my vote would go to Jeffrey Rush in The King's Speech. He'll lose out mainly because he is already an Oscar winner. It's a disgrace that Andrew Garfield was not nominated for The Social Network. He was the outstanding actor for me in that movie and I just don't understand his omission from the list of nominees.

Best supporting actress - Melissa Leo (The Fighter)

She has it in the bag for sure and is a deserved winner. However, I would chose Hailee Steinfeld over her as she was incredible in True Grit. The only good thing about the movie and for a 14 year old to carry that off for 2 hours is no mean feat.

Best original screenplay - The King's Speech

Lots of competition here but as scripts go, you don't get much better than this.

Best adapted screenplay - The Social Network

Again, amazing script. So clever and a definite winner

Best director - David Fincher

He'll win it as it's his time. I personally don't think he deserves it, even though I am a huge fan. He'll be getting it for the wrong film. The best direction of the year should go to Christopher Nolan for Inception but he's not even nominated. Disgrace! It's the most intricate/ground breaking direction ever seen.

Best film - The Social Network

I reckon it will just pip The Fighter and The King's Speech to it. Deservedly so as it's a fantastic film.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty much in concurrence my good man!!
    However, I do think Hallee might nip it for True Grit.
    I've not seen Social Network yet (**hangs head accordingly**) but I'm gonna trust your judgement on this one ..

    ... not the same without the party this year but we'll make up for it on the next twist ...

    Shar xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit. Oscar Predictions

    ReplyDelete